Monday, July 7, 2008

Sheez it's hot!

Hello Hello!
I survived my first full day in the urban jungle! I actually had a great time. I woke up around 10am, and it seems I'm adjusting to the time difference really well. But as most of you know, I can sleep at anytime, so I'm not that surprised.

I put on one of my new dresses that mom and martin bought me for the trip and headed over to Kent Hall where I go my Columbia ID. I waited in a long line of visiting students, but didn't talk with anyone. It probably would have been a great opportunity to meet someone, but it was pretty quiet in the office, and I didn't want the entire place to be able to listen-in on my conversation. My ID popped out of the machine a few minutes later, and I noticed that it said: "Rachel Adams: Athletic Facility Employee." Hmmmm. I informed the lady at the desk that I did not, in fact, work in an athletic facility, and I had to take another picture to replace the old one. Hope the other Rachel Adams doesn't get my picture on her ID!

After that, I headed over to the bookstore where I got some spiral notebooks, binders, and other necessities. All my things say "Columbia University" on them and look either very official or very cheesy--I can't decide which.

After dropping my new things off in my room, I set my sights on the subway and became determined to orient myself in the city. As it was my last day before class started, I wanted to make sure that I took advantage of my free time! I boarded the number 1 subway and switched to the 2 at 96th street, which took me down to Times Square. The platforms were humid and sticky and smelled like body odor and spoiled alcohol, but for some reason, I liked it. I guess the musky smell reminded me of where I was and how independent I'd become. I emerged from the steamy platform to find a glaring array of jumbotrons, billboards, and masses of people all sauntering down the street with their eyes directed upwards. Times Square sprawled out before me, and although it was certainly impressive, it was oddly sad.

I walked down a few blocks to Fifth Avenue and poked in some shops. I find it so amusing that people would actually pay $5,000.00 for a jacket with someone's name on it. I guess some people live in a completely different world than I do. I bought a pretzel from a street vendor and sat on a bench looking up at the massive skyscrapers above me. I walked back to the subway passing 30 Rockefeller Center, the Atlas statue, and many many designer stores. It's certainly a decadent area, and it made me feel special in a way; lucky to have been there.

I took the subway back to my part of town and went grocery shopping down the street with Kelley. The store was incredible. It had rows and rows of fresh produce stacked up like the buildings I had admired earlier, fresh seafood and meat, and beautiful desserts, and yet, it still had the feel of a neighborhood market. It was wonderfully cheap for New York--all my groceries cost about $30.00 all together!

I did some reading back home, and later went out with Valerie. We walked around Broadway together and had Pink Berry--a new taste sensation for me. It's real yogurt--frozen. It has no added sugar or fat, so it's actually pretty good for you, and they have tons of fresh fruit (not frozen!) and other toppings. I had original yogurt with chocolate chips and huge fresh raspberries. It was amazing! I fear it might become a new addiction...
Valerie and I had a great time together--we've really started to connect, and we laughed about so many things together. I love that she is from Canada--it's almost like we're both outsiders here, and we can discover the city together. Then Casey showed up, the guy who helped me with my bags yesterday, and we all talked for a while. We made plans to go to the MoMa together on Wednesday when I don't have class. I'm so looking forward to it!

Just when I finished talking with both my parents about how lonely I was, and how meeting people was so difficult, I had this great evening with two interesting people. I couldn't have asked for more, and it made me feel a little more at home. I'm really looking forward to class tomorrow, and I hope that I can make a few friends there. There have to be some interesting people taking Human Rights, don't you think?

Overall, I'm settling in well, and the moments of loneliness seem to be far and few between. I'm going to try an plan something for my floor this week and send around fliers throughout the dorm. I wish my RA was doing that, but I 'm pretty good at it from being an FA at the UO, so I don't mind organizing it.

I hope you all are well. Thanks for checking in.

Rachel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're getting settled in. Of course you're meeting awesome people, you are totally fantastic to be around. I love the updates, we're doing dramatic readings in the office of each one. You know how Jill loves a good dramatic reading. I'm still waiting to hear back from the NY girls; I'll let ya know as soon as I do. But it doesn't seem like you're having too much trouble. We all miss you. Talk to ya soon!

Laura

martin said...

hey you
we miss you
love getting the news
talk to you tonight
love m

Anonymous said...

Rachel! You are a great writer! I've missed you now and then thinking about friends and cant wait to see you at UO this fall (secretly, but not really, I kind of hope I don’t find a place to live right away so we can have sleepovers. But we can do that anyway ;-)
So I love reading your blog. I always am overwhelmed when people send me long emails and tend to put off reading them, but your writing is so good I feel like Im right there in NY. Its really fun!
Sounds like you wont have any trouble at all finding friends, knowing you, but also judging from the connections you made already and this event youre organizing! I dont see how anyone in your classes could pass up getting to know the friendly helpful smiling Rachel I know. They'll be blessed to meet you.
Also, I’m REALLY incredibly, incredibly jealous that you’re going to MoMa. You have no idea. I'm so green with envy I look like the Hulk right now. But scrawnier. And less brute-like. If they let you take pictures inside please please do. I'd love to see.
Love you, miss you Rach!
As always: you're awesome, and you amaze me.
-Mars

Rachel Adams said...

Marsh, you should check out my facebook pictures titled NY ART. There from the Met and the MoMa when I went over spring break. Enjoy!

Thanks for being so sweet--you always manage to make me smile. I hope everything is going well for you, and that you're getting settled on this side of the country as well. If you ever have a long weekend and want to take a LONG train ride....hehe.

Rach

Anonymous said...

Might have to take you up on that. ;-)